Researchers at Yale University have found that Zika appears to have caused glaucoma in an infant who was exposed to the virus during gestation, the first such case.
The Zika virus has already been associated with multiple neurological disorders in children exposed in utero, as well as microcephaly, a condition that causes children to be born with abnormally small heads and cognitive issues.
“We identified the first case where Zika virus appears to have affected the development of the anterior chamber or front portion of the eye during gestation and caused glaucoma after birth,” study co-author Dr. Albert Icksang Ko, said in a press release from Yale.
Researchers were studying the microcephaly epidemic and found that one infant exposed to Zika had developed swelling, pain, and tearing in the right eye. These symptoms were diagnosed as glaucoma — which can result in permanent damage to the optic nerve and blindness.
According to the press release, this is the first known case of glaucoma in an infant with the Zika Virus. Investigators stated that clinicians treating patients with Zika should be aware that glaucoma is another serious symptom, and it should be monitored.
The Zika virus — mainly spread by the bite of the Aedes mosquito and sometimes sexual transmission — is a current health epidemic and has spread throughout the Americas, including the United States.
Back in September, a study revealed that the Zika virus could persist in the eyes, possibly explaining why some patients develop eye disease that leads to permanent vision loss.
Source: Ko AI, de Paula Freitas B, Khouri R, Mayoral M, Maia M, Henriques DF, et al. Zika and glaucoma linked for the first time. Ophthalmology. 2016.
We picked linked items based on the quality of products, and list the pros and cons of each to help you determine which will work best for you. We partner with some of the companies that sell these products, which means we and our partners may receive a portion of revenues if you make a purchase using a link(s) above.
MUST READ Medical Dictionary :
Other amazing related Dreams you might like:
- Zika And Birth Defects Fears 2017: Why Does Zika Cause Microcephaly And Other Viruses Don’t?
- University Of Pittsburgh Researcher Infects Herself With Zika Virus, But No Risk To Public
- Zika Virus 2017: Infection Shrinks Testes; May Lead To Sexual Transmission And Damage Fertility
- Zika Virus May Lead To ‘Global Epidemic’ Of Microcephaly And Other Birth Defects Throughout The World
- Zika Effects In Babies Update: Virus May Cause Deafness As Well As Microcephaly
- How Zika Virus Attacks The Body And What Happens After Infection: Everything You Need To Know, Watch For
- How Long Does Zika Virus Live In The Vagina?
- Zika Virus Can Infect And Replicate In Cells Without Killing Them; It’s Also Unique In Its Ability To Cross Placental Barrier
- OB-GYN Treating Pregnant Women With Zika Virus: ‘This Is What It’s Like’
- Zika Virus Mother-To-Child Transmission Likely Much Higher Than Previously Believed, Study Says
- The ‘New Normal’: How Zika Virus Will Affect The Mental, Physical Health Of Children In The Americas
- New York Reports First Female-To-Male Zika Transmission Via Sex
- Is Zika Virus In New York? Chances The Mosquito Disease Reaches The Big Apple Are Slim, But Still Possible
- Zika Virus In Florida: Everything You Need To Know About 14 New Cases In The Sunshine State
- Zika Epidemic: Florida Travel Warning Issued For Pregnant Women After More Zika Cases
- Limiting Travel, Controlling Mosquitoes Reduces Zika Risk
- Had Zika Virus? CDC Is Offering Men Who Have Been Infected $50 Gift Cards To Provide Sperm Donations
- New Research Finds Low Risk Of Zika Virus At Olympics
- Tiny Lab-Grown 3D Brains Help Scientists Study How Zika Virus Damages Stem Cells In Brain
- Zika Sexual Transmission And Pregnancy Risks Update: How Long Should Infected Men Abstain?
- Zika Virus Brain Infection May Also Affect Adults, Study Finds
- Tragic Photos Show How Zika Damages Babies’ Brains
- Vaccines For Zika, Chikungunya, Dengue Update: The Latest News From The Lab
- Zika Risks Update: Virus May Harm Male Fertility, Lower Testosterone, Mouse Study Shows
- Zika Vaccine Latest 2017: This May Be Strongest Candidate Yet For Protecting Women Against Virus
- Zika Virus And Birth Defects: How Babies Contract Microcephaly, Other Severe Complications
- Malaria Drug May Block Zika Virus Infection In Mother From Passing To Unborn Child
- Spain Records First Case Of Sexually Transmitted Zika Virus
- Zika Virus May Attack Adult Brain Cells Too
- Zika Virus Update: Woman Carried Virus In Vagina For Two Weeks